Saturday, April 16, 2005

I, BLOGBOT


A few months ago I was invited by Lauren Kessler, noted author and director of the graduate studies program for nonfiction literature at the University of Oregon, to submit an article about my experiences in the blogosphere to Etude, a journal, which she edits, dedicated to new voices in literary nonfiction. Needless to say, I was honored that she would feel, based on what she’s seen on this blog, that I would have what it takes to deliver a piece worthy of inclusion in such a journal. I was also more than a little nervous, but even more eager to submit some work and have it appraised and criticized by someone of her reputation and talent. Blogging is an editor-free affair, and unless you’re lucky enough to have someone reading everything you write and offering creative suggestions before you post, it doesn’t lend itself to much in the way of independent, trustworthy voices adding what they can to make your good work better, or raise your mediocre work up to a passable standard. All of which was why I leapt at the opportunity to work with Ms. Kessler and see what might come of it. Well, the results are in. This past Thursday saw the publication of the Spring 2005 edition of Etude, featuring terrific writing from Ms. Kessler, Amy Duncan, Sarah Gianelli, Frederick Reimer, and the essay I submitted, entitled ”I, Blogbot.” I hope all of you will have a chance to click on the links above, read the essay, let me know what you think, good or bad, and take the time to enjoy what the other Etude contributors have to offer.

I'd also like to thank Lauren Kessler for allowing me the opportunity to participate in and experience yet another facet of the grand task of learning to be a writer, and for checking out the work I do here and believing that I might be able to take that work in another direction, to another level. Lauren, I appreciate your confidence and feedback very much. It has done for my own confidence and inspiration what a good Oregon rain does for my soul. May the rain continue to fall.

No comments: